Here’s a pizza you can scoff down without feeling too guilty – it’s a vegetable! Genius. Since becoming a coeliac I’ve really missed pizza; the gluten free versions just don’t cut it, and the bases are usually full of rubbish ingredients to make up for the lack of gluten holding it together.
So if you like pizza and you like cauliflower, give this a go!
You may be shocked (I was) to find that cauliflower pizza does not taste anything like a normal pizza, and that’s probably because it isn’t. It tastes quite a lot like cauliflower, but it’s a deliciously odd combination of ingredients. Just don’t go into the experience expecting a chewy dough base, my mistake.
It’s easy to make this completely paleo and dairy free by substituting the cheese with nutritional yeast flakes. (I’ve tried both ways, and they’re both good!)
- 1 medium cauliflower (chuck it in the food processor and blend til fine)
- 1/4 cup flax seeds/linseeds (soak in 1/4 cup water for 10 mins til gelatinous)
- 1 cup grated cheddar (or 1 cup nutritional yeast for a paleo/dairy free option)
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp salt
- ground pepper to taste
+ toppings (I use tomato paste or pesto, grated cheddar, sliced cherry tomatoes, baby spinach and fresh basil (add the spinach and basil after cooking)
– Preheat oven to 220 degrees
– Place blended cauliflower in the middle of a clean tea towel and use it to squeeze out any excess water. Set aside with teatowel
– Mix together all other ingredients, then squeeze out any extra water from cauliflower and mix in with the rest
– Line 2 pizza/baking trays with baking paper and spread the mixture onto each, pressing it into a circle about 0.5-1 cm thick. It won’t feel or look anything like pizza dough, and that’s probably because it isn’t, don’t fret.
– Cook the base in oven for 15-20 mins, rotating the 2 trays to the top of the oven halfway. Flip both bases over and cook for a further 5-10 mins if you prefer a crispier base.
– Add toppings (tomato paste, cheese, chopped cherry tomatoes, mushrooms, oregano, whatever you fancy), turn down oven to 180 degrees and cook for another 10-15 mins, then add any fresh garnish (basil, baby spinach, rocket), grind over some fresh pepper and sea salt and serve immediately!